Artist William Henry Knight
William Knight lived
1823 - 1863, he was
Game of Checkers
The Game of Checkers
1846 by artist William Knight.
- This oil painting on board by game of
checkers artist William Knight was a typical
example of the narrative genre style of
the artist in the mid 19th century that
depicted daily scenes of common folk in
a variety of settings.
- The dark muted tones of the background and the dramatic
use of light focused on the family group surrounding the
two boys playing a leisurely game of checkers.
- The artist William Knight, used a traditional
triangular composition to establish the
closeness of the family, the joy of the
winner and the focal point of the checkerboard
in the center of the painting.
- The simplicity of the family scene and the boy’s gesture
evoked the emotion clearly displayed and the subtle tonality of
the image emphasized the warmth surrounding the checkers scene.
Arnauts Playing Draughts
1875 by artist William Knight.
- Artist William Knight's hand colored
engraving of two Albanian men in traditional
dress, deeply engrossed in a game of checkers/draughts
while sitting in the courtyard.
- The postures of the players helped to create the mood
surrounding the game at the checker board and the nature of the play.
- Despite the simplicity of the setting, the viewer can
easily sense the concentration behind the look of the player
making the move on the game board.